1. Place the specified amount of water into a polyethyleneterephthalate (PET) or glass bottle.
2. Carefully separate the capsule body and cap and pour the contents of the required number of 75 mg capsules into the PET or glass bottle.
3. Gently swirl the suspension to ensure adequate wetting of the powder for at least 2 minutes.
4. Slowly add the specified amount of vehicle to the bottle.
5. Close the bottle using a child-resistant cap and shake well for 30 seconds to completely dissolve the active drug.
6. Label “Shake Well Before Use.”
Stable for 35 days refrigerated or 5 days at room temperature. Shake gently prior to use. Do not dispense with dosing device provided with commercially-available product.
|Body Weight||Total Volume per Patient1||# of 75 mg Capsules2||Required Volume of Water||Required Volume of Vehicle2,3||Treatment Dose (wt based)4||Prophylactic Dose (wt based)4|
|1Entire course of therapy.|
|2Based on total volume per patient.|
|3Acceptable vehicles are cherry syrup, Ora-Sweet® SF, or simple syrup.|
|4Using 6 mg/mL suspension.|
|≤15 kg||75 mL||6||5 mL||69 mL||5 mL (30 mg) twice daily for 5 days||5 mL (30 mg) once daily for 10 days|
|16-23 kg||100 mL||8||7 mL||91 mL||7.5 mL (45 mg) twice daily for 5 days||7.5 mL (45 mg) once daily for 10 days|
|24-40 kg||125 mL||10||8 mL||115 mL||10 mL (60 mg) twice daily for 5 days||10 mL (60 mg) once daily for 10 days|
|≥41 kg||150 mL||12||10 mL||137 mL||12.5 mL (75 mg) twice daily for 5 days||12.5 mL (75 mg) once daily for 10 days|
- Tamiflu approved for children 2 weeks and up (vitals.nbcnews.com)
- FDA Approves Tamiflu for Infants (lunaticoutpost.com)
- FDA Approves Tamiflu for Infants (webmd.com)
- Flu Drug Tamiflu OK for Babies Under 1: FDA (news.health.com)
- Flu Drug Tamiflu OK for Babies Under 1: FDA (oddonion.com)
- So You Have the Flu... Now What? (yourvirtualpharmacist.com)