The Best Health Blogs You Must Read in 2013
1. Health Beat by Maggie Mahar - Maggie Mahar created HealthBeat in 2007. Earlier this year, she began posting regularly at the healthinsurance.org blog and she’ll continue to write on both websites. The author of Money-Driven Medicine: The Real Reason Health Care Costs So Much (Harper/Collins 2006), Mahar also served as the co-writer of the documentary, Money-Driven Medicine (2009), directed by Andrew Fredericks and produced by Alex Gibney.
Before she began writing about health care, Mahar was a financial journalist and wrote for Barron’s, Time Inc., The New York Times and other publications. (Her first book, Bull: A History of the Boom and Bust 1982-2003(Harper Collins, 2003) was recommended by Warren Buffet in Berkshire Hathaway’s annual report. For more on her books, click here.
In an earlier career, Mahar was an English professor at Yale University where she taught 19th and 20th century literature.
2. HealthBlawg - David Harlow is a seasoned health care attorney and consultant recognized as an accomplished, innovative and resourceful thought leader in health care law, strategy and policy. His experience in both the public and private sectors over the past twenty-five years affords him a unique perspective on legal, policy and business issues facing the health care community.
3. But Doctor I Hate Pink - Breast Cancer? But Doctor, I hate pink is a brutally honest, laugh out loud funny, raw account of navigating life with metastatic breast cancer. Breast cancer is not all pink ribbons and fun runs and survivorship memorabilia, and Ann tells it like it is, what it's like to live life when you know you are going to die.
4. The Health Care Blog - You can think of us as a little bit like the Huffington Post with a focus on medicine, science and the business of medicine. Since passage of the Obama administration’s health reform law, we’ve paid close attention to the Affordable Care Act, tracking the implications of the landmark legislation for the industry and consumers, as well as the looming legal battle over the law’s future in Washington.
5. Health Care Informatics - Mark Hagland's blog about informatics.
6. Simply Healthy - Marta Montenegro has been inspiring people to live healthy lives by giving them the tools and strength to find one’s inner athlete. Inspired by her father’s last words to her, “Find your victory,” she dedicated herself to living a healthy lifestyle and sharing her personal journey with others. Her personal website MartaMontenegro.com combines health and fitness advice, first-person stories, and tips on nutrition, beauty and fashion.
8. Wall Street Journal Health Blog - Great resource from the WSJ.
9. Jay Parkinson + MD + MPH - If I had gone to medical school instead of pharmacy school, THIS is the kind of doctor that I would want to be. Love this blog.
After completing a residency in pediatrics and one in preventive medicine at Johns Hopkins, I started a practice for my neighborhood of Williamsburg, Brooklyn in September 2007. People would visit my website; see my Google calendar; choose a time and input their symptoms; my iphone would alert me; I would make a house call; they'd pay me via Paypal; and we'd follow up by email, IM, videochat, or in person.
10. NPR's Shots - fascinating daily information about health around the world
So there is my top ten list of blogs I enjoy at the moment. Hope you enjoy!